Quebec’s Ministry of Forests, Wildlife and Parks (MFFP) has announced that Quebec will suspend sport hunting of caribou indefinitely starting in 2018.
The Leaf River caribou herd is the largest of the three sub-herds that make up the Quebec-Labrador herd, the largest group of migratory caribou in the world. Current surveys place the population of the herd at approximately 500,000 animals! Leaf River caribou only migrate a few hundred miles; hence, they tend to be a bit heavier and in better condition than nearby herds, such as the George River, which migrate over one thousand miles.
This outfitter is one of the major players in Quebec Caribou hunts, and we are pleased to offer their services. The caribou camps are located on the Leaf River with additional camps slightly further south towards Lac Caniapiscau. Hunting season runs from early August to late September. Hunts originate in Montreal and are of 7-day duration, with 5 days of hunting. Our customers will enjoy choosing between either of two guided packages offering a hands-on hunt or the full-service hunt.
- 7 day total trip duration with 5 days of hunting
- Trip originates in Montreal
- Full accommodations at camp including hot showers and toilets
- Two Caribou per hunter
- Full Service or hands-on guided hunts
- Airfare from Montreal to Lac Caniapiscau, where you’ll leave Lac Pau via Otter floatplane for the flight to the camps.
- One guide is provided for either two or four hunters. Your guides are experienced, English speaking professionals who will see that you are both safe and successful.
- Two caribou are allowed and meat preparation and shipping of two racks (1 un-split) is included.
- Supervised parking in Montreal
- Shuttles to the airport
- Hearty home-cooked meals at the camps
- Hot showers and flush toilets
- Your total price reflects the cost of the package, taxes, and airfare.
As a bonus, fishing is also included at both camps prior to September 7, and through the end of the season for Atlantic salmon at the Leaf River camp.
- Travel to and from Montreal
- Overnight lodging in Montreal
- Fishing and hunting licenses
- Meat cutting and packaging
- Alcoholic beverages
- Any additional personal items.